If you’re in the market for a home security system, you probably noticed you’re faced with a lot of choices. Between the different types of equipment, placement, and tech requirements, it can be daunting to find the right one.
One feature of an alarm system you’ll also have to choose is whether or not you want your system to be monitored. A monitored alarm system, like the name implies, uses a professional monitoring company to help you keep an eye on your home 24/7.
If you’re wondering whether or not you need a monitored system, read on to find out five reasons they’re definitely worth it.
Monitored vs. unmonitored alarm systems
When it comes to alarm systems, there are two main types – monitored and unmonitored (or self-monitored) alarm systems:
- Monitored alarm systems are monitored by a professional monitoring company. With a monitored security system, any time an alarm is triggered, the monitoring company is notified. They will then attempt to contact you to make sure it is not a false alarm. If they are unable to get ahold of you, or if they do and you confirm it is not a false alarm, they will contact the proper authorities, such as the fire department or police, for you.
- Unmonitored alarm systems are not connected to a monitoring company. These systems are only monitored by the homeowner when you’re home. For example, if a smoke alarm or burglar alarm in your home is tripped, it’s up to you to make sure it’s not a false alarm, and then contact emergency services if needed.
Because monitored alarm systems provide a service, they also have a monthly monitoring fee. Unmonitored alarm systems typically do not have this fee.
With so many DIY options on the market, you may be wondering if a home monitoring system is worth the added expense.
Is a monitored alarm system worth it?
Here are five reasons why a monitored alarm system is well worth it.
Professional monitoring services are more convenient for homeowners. With an unmonitored system, the responsibility to contact help in the case of an emergency falls to you. But in the event of an emergency, like a fire or a break-in, your main priority will be getting yourself and your family to safety. With professional monitoring, the monitoring company will contact emergency services on your behalf, so you can focus on what matters the most.
2. 24/7 professional monitoring
Professional monitoring around the clock is another reason a monitored system is worth it. No one can stay up all day and night checking their phone to see if an alarm at home is going off. With professional monitoring, you don’t have to. If an alarm is triggered in your home, the monitoring service will contact you first, and then the appropriate authorities on your behalf if there really is an emergency or if you can’t be reached.
3. Detects emergencies
A professional monitoring company keeping an eye on your property will be able to detect emergencies that occur on your property, such as:
- Break-ins. If your smart home or security system has burglary detection, the monitoring service will be notified immediately when an alarm is tripped.
- Fire and carbon monoxide. In the event a smoke alarm goes off, the monitoring service will know there is a potential fire or carbon monoxide leak and send the fire department.
- Medical emergencies. Many smart homes are equipped with the ability to contact their monitoring service in the event of a medical emergency. When that happens, they will ensure appropriate responders are sent to the home.
4. Lets you monitor your home remotely
A professional monitoring company works alongside you–the homeowner–to ensure your home is always safe and sound. With a Vivint system, you can also monitor your home via your smart home app.
For example, let’s say you’re away from home on vacation with your family and you receive a notification that your burglar alarm has gone off. You check your home security system’s outdoor camera and see an unfamiliar car in your driveway. At the same time, your monitoring service contacts you to inform you that the alarm has gone off. You let them know that you see a car in your driveway you don’t recognize, and they contact your local police department for you.
5. Peace of mind
One of the main benefits of a monitored security system for your smart home is the peace of mind it brings. Whether you’re home or away, you know that your home and family are being protected around the clock. You focus on the most important things in your life while the monitoring service takes care of the rest.
Monitored Alarm FAQs
Here are some of the most common questions we receive about monitored alarm systems.
What is a monitored alarm system?
A monitored alarm system is one that is monitored around the clock by a professional monitoring center. If one of your alarms is triggered, the monitoring center is notified. They will then contact you to see if you need assistance. If they’re unable to get ahold of you, or you do need help, they will then call the appropriate authorities or emergency services on your behalf.
Can you monitor your own alarm system?
You can monitor your own system through notifications you receive on your smartphone. However, doing so often means you don’t have the same fast response time and attention you would receive from a professional monitoring company. If you’re not near your phone or in an area where you don’t have service, you may not receive timely notifications and be able to respond to them.
Who is the best alarm monitoring company?
All Vivint systems receive 24/7 professional monitoring. If you’re at work, on vacation, or away from home and your alarm goes off, the monitoring company will ensure emergency personnel are dispatched to your home. And if you are home and an emergency occurs, they will take care of contacting authorities so you can get yourself and your loved ones to safety. Vivint truly provides best-in-class monitoring to protect your home and family.
Is a monitored alarm system worth it?
Most people will agree that a monitored alarm system provides greater response and protection for their homes and loved ones. And for that reason, many people consider the cost of a monitored alarm system well worth the money.
Monitor your home with a Vivint today
Vivint security systems provide 24/7 monitoring, making sure your most important investment is always protected. See how Vivint can bring you greater peace of mind today with a free quote. Simply give us a call at 800-598-5228.